Surgeons remove battery the size of 10p coin from toddler’s gullet

Sophia Grace, 2, and an x-ray showing a small watch-battery. Bristol Royal Children's Hospital has issued a warning after the girl swallowed a battery and had to have surgery to remove it.
Sophia-Grace’s dad noticed something was wrong when she had issues eating, drinking and breaking (Pictures: SWNS)

A toddler swallowed a battery the size of a 10 pence coin and had to have surgery to remove it from her oesophagus.

Doctors found the watch battery in two-year-old Sofia-Grace’s throat after her dad, Calham, noticed she was having issues eating, drinking and breathing. 

After her surgery, the tot had to be fitted with a tube to stop her throat from closing completely and help her eat.

Sofia-Grace was taken to the hospital several times, and GPs failed to find the cause of her symptoms until the battery was eventually spotted via an x-ray.

Calham, from Wiltshire, said he has no idea how his daughter got hold of the battery but is relieved Bristol Royal Hospital found the dangerous item in time. 

Advertisement

Advertisement

‘Sofia is now on a purée diet and doing very well. She is improving week by week with regular dilations which is stretching and improving her oesophagus,’ he said. 

The hospital has since put out a warning about the dangers of smaller batteries and magnets which are often found in toys.

X-ray of Sofia-Grace who swallowed a battery. Bristol Royal Children's Hospital has issued a warning after two-year-old Sophia-Grace swallowed a battery and had to have surgery to remove it.
The battery was the size of a 10-pence coin (Picture: SWNS)
Sofia-Grace who swallowed a battery. See SWNS story SWBRbattery. These X-rays show a toddler who swallowed a battery the size of a 10p - damaging her oesophagus and requiring surgery to remove. Two year old Sofia-Grace had to undergo an operation to remove the small watch battery at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children. It was found following an X-ray - with results showing serious damage to Sofia-Grace's oesophagus. Dad Calham noticed there was something wrong with his daughter as she was having difficulties eating, drinking and breathing.
Sofia-Grace is still recovering and has to do stretches to help improve her oesophagus (Picture: SWNS)

A spokesperson said: ‘Do not leave button batteries, items containing button batteries, or small magnets lying around the house – keep them out of reach children. 

‘A child may not show symptoms if a battery or magnet is swallowed or ingested but it can have severe consequences if not treated or attended to by medical teams quickly.

‘The newer neodymium magnets are much stronger than normal magnets and are found in many household objects and toys.


Anti-lockdown protesters detained by the Metropolitan Police in Clapham, south London, on January 9, 2021

Anti-lockdown protesters in London told ‘there’s a pandemic going on you twats’

‘When more than one magnet or a magnet and another metal object is swallowed, it can cause significant damage to the bowel.

‘The more magnets swallowed, the greater the risk. A lithium battery could get stuck in the oesophagus and can cause a significant burn to the tissues within 2 hours.

‘If there is any concern that a child has swallowed a battery or magent, immediately call 999 or attend the Emergency Department (ED).’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. 

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Bristol – Metro