Church of St John the Baptist, Bristol
The church was built in the 14th century (and heavily modified in the 19th century) with the tower and steeple over St John's Gate, the last remaining city gateway. The church is very narrow as it is built into and alongside the city walls. Consequently it is also known as St John's on the Wall.
The rood stair entrance high up on the wall shows where the earlier great rood screen would have stood. Similar rood stair entrances can be seen at St Peters, St Philip and Jacob, St Stephen's and Temple. Beneath the church is a vaulted crypt, which was dedicated to the Holy Cross.
A conduit has supplied water from Brandon Hill since 1374, and the course of the pipe is marked in places by small plaques set into the pavements.
For more detail, Click Here..