Illegal rave shut down by police after hundreds turn up at park

Illegal rave shut down after hundreds turn up to park
Crowds gathered for the unlicensed music event in Bristol, which was shut down by police (Pictures: BristolLive / BPM Media)

Police shut down an illegal rave at a park where hundreds of revellers had gathered over the bank holiday weekend.

More than 300 people had turned up for an unlicensed music event at Sparke Evans Park in the St Phillips area of Bristol last night.

Police arrived at around 5.30pm, turned the music off and closed off the park to stop more people from attending.

Photos show swarms of revellers congregated around huge sound systems.

A spokesperson from Avon and Somerset Police said: ‘Officers have [on Sunday] been at the scene of an unauthorised music event in Sparke Evans Park, in St Phillips, Bristol.

‘We attended at around 5.30pm where the event was held. We estimated more than 300 people were able to access the site prior to police attendance.

‘A police presence remained in the area, with officers successfully preventing more people from entering the site.

Around 400 partygoers were met by officers from Avon and Somerset Police tonight, Sunday 30 April 2023 , as an unlicenced music event was about to start. Police have closed Sparke Evans Park off of Albert Road in St Phillips Bristol to prevent any more ravers attending the event. Credit: BristolLive/BPM
Around 300 people attended (Picture: BristolLive / BPM Media)

‘The music was turned off and the majority of people who were at the site have now left. We will continue to monitor the site.’

Police were called to the same park on Saturday evening at around 6pm following reports of anti-social behaviour and loud music. However, officers found there was no one there when they arrived.

‘Officers attended the park and found nobody there. They conducted a tour of the area and found no trace. It was a call with good intent,’ a spokesperson said.

Last month police were called to an illegal rave in Port Talbot, Wales, where more than 1,000 people had turned up.

The event, on an industrial estate, had got out of control and at least three people were rushed to hospital.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at

For more stories like this, check our news page.

Bristol – Metro